Frequently Asked Questions about the Content Management System (CMS)
- How do I login to use the CMS?
- How do I create a new page?
- Edit Info tab
- How do I edit my site's breadcrumbs/page name?
- Why aren't CMS tabs showing up on some/all of my pages?
- How do I edit content on a page?
- How do I add a block?
- How do I move a block?
- What do the different blocks look like? Why does the text/heading/etc look the way that it does?
- How do I insert a link on a page?
- How do I insert an anchor link on a page?
- How do I insert an e-mail link on a page?
- How do I update a link (e-mail or otherwise)?
- How do I insert an image onto a page?
- How do I insert a document onto a page?
- How do I copy and paste a Word document?
- How do I edit a page's menu?
- How do I view all the files on my site? How do I upload a document or image?
- How do I get a video posted on my webpage?
- I uploaded a document or image and now can't find it. Where is it?
- How do I single-space lines? When I hit enter there is a lot of extra space.
If you have any questions that are not answered in these pages, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I login to use the CMS?
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on the red "Resources for Faculty & Staff" link in the lower right-hand corner.
- Click the red "Authenticate" link in the lower right-hand corner, and enter your unity/id and password. Go back to the page that you wanted to edit, then you should see a gold bar across the top with the CMS menu.
NOTE: Some sites, program and project sites in particular, do not have a "Resources for Faculty & Staff" link. those site have the "Authenticate" link in the same place on every page.
How do I create a new page?
- In the URL textfield, enter the filename, which should end in .php (ex: index.php). If you want this file to be in a folder, you may enter that also (ex: folder_name/index.php).
- Naming conventions: Use all lower case names. If you have two words for the file name, in place of a space, use an underscore _ (Ex: chass_it.php).
- Enter in a page name, and click the "Create" button.
Edit Info Tab
- To give a page a sidebar, restrict a page to department users only, or update the META Information (including page name), click on the "Edit Info" tab in the CMS bar.
- Page Type: Default is "One Column" (no sidebar). To give a page a sidebar, select "Two Column".
- Page restricted to department users only: Default is no, set it to Yes so that only members of your department can view a page (most often used under faculty/staff resources).
- META information is recommended to be filled out for accessibility, and also to increase your site's visibility with search engines.
- Page Name: The name displayed at the very top of the browser window in some browsers (such as Firefox). It is also used to generate the breadcrumbs below the banner image.
- Keywords: A list of single words, separated by commas (no phrases). Some search engines may use these
- Description: A brief description of your page. Some search engines may use this. Google displays the description on its search results page.
How do I edit content on a page?
- Click on the "Edit Page" link at the top of the page. Log in using your unity id/password.
- Editable regions are divided into blocks. For each block, you will see a the following links above it - "Block Options", "Options", "Delete", "Move", and "Edit".
- You can add a block by clicking the "Add Block" link at the bottom of the page.
- Block Options: Different styles for the block. Static content is the most basic type. If you change the Block Option the information in your block will be removed.
- Options: you can change the content type here. Options are "Static Text", which displays text, "Blog", which will pull in the most recent Blog entry from the selected blog, "Calendar", which displays the CHASS Events Calendar, and "Search", which displays the option to search the site.
- Delete: deletes the block
- Move: If you position your mouse cursor over this, it will turn into a move icon. Hold and drag the block up or down the page.
- Edit: This will bring up a text editor where you can edit the contents of the block, add links, HTML formatting, etc. Click the "Preview Changes" link to close the text editor.
- Once you have made all of your changes, click the "Save" button in the upper right-hand corner.
How do I add a new block?
- Scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click the "Add Block" link in the lower right-hand corner.
- After you hit "Add Block", a number of options will appear around the block. "Block Options" will almost always be "Static Text" (the default). The other options are primarily used on the main CHASS site for news stories.
- Click on "Options" opens up an options dialog, and you can expand "Content Type" to select the type. Descriptions of each content type are below. Options to Delete/Move/Edit also appear in the upper right-hand corner.
- You can then move the block. See the "How do I move a block?" for more details.
How do I move a block?
- Mouse over the "Move" link until you see the cursor turn to a four-way arrow.
- Click and hold the link, and you can drag the block around. Release the mouse to place the block.
What do the different blocks look like? Why does the text/heading/etc look the way that it does?
- The appearance of the website is controlled by the site's style template. Also, sometimes the text will look different when you click on "Preview Changes" than it does within the CMS window. See the links below for examples of all how of the styles should look. If you do run across a style that doesn't look right (especially if it's not one one of those two pages, please send us a message at email@example.com.
Content (Block) Types
- Static text: Used for creating a basic block of HTML (this question is an example). The most common block type used.
- Blog: This will pull in the most recent article from a blog feed (rss feed). After you select this option, the box will change and you will see a Blog pull down. If the blog you would like to pull from is not in this list, please send us a message.
- Calendar: This will display events from your calendar.
- Search: A search box will be displayed.
- Two column image block: This will display an image on the left, and then content on the right. The image should be no more than 100 pixels wide.
- Check out: This displays a block with a title, then a list of items with a bar on the left.
- Introduction: A outlined block with an image on the left, text, and a list below the image. The image should be of the dimensions specified in the default image.
- Pull Quote: This displays a box to be used to display a quote.
How do I insert an image onto a page?
- Click on the Image icon, located in the middle of the third row.
- If your image is already on the server, enter the URL in the URL field, or hit the "Browse Server" button to locate the image.
- If you need to upload your image, click on the "Upload" tab, then click "Browse" to locate the file on your computer, and click the "Send it to the Server" button.
- You can also set the size, border, spacing around the image, and image alignment. Press the OK button to insert your image in the page.
How do I copy and paste a Word document?
- Click on the "Paste to Word" icon to bring up the dialog. Copy your Word document, then paste it into the dialog using "CTRL/CMD+V", and hit Insert.
How do I view all the files on my site? How do I upload a document or image?
- Click on the "Manage Files" tab. This will display all the files on the server for the site you are viewing.
- You can upload new files or images by selecting the "Browse" button, and selecting the file on your computer. Then click the "Upload" button. New documents are in the documents directory.
- You can delete files and images (but not webpages) from the server by selecting the checkbox next to the document, and clicking the "Delete Selected" button.
How do I get a video posted on my webpage?
I uploaded a document or image and now can't find it. Where is it?
- Images are uploaded to the "images" directory on your site. Documents are uploaded to the "documents" directory. Click on the "Manage Files" tab to browse all your files.
How do I single-space? When I hit enter there is a lot of extra space.
- Whenever you hit enter, it creates a new paragraph, which adds extra space above and below that line. If you hit SHIFT+Enter, it will insert a line break and not a new paragraph.